Make an easy DIY Wooden snowman using 4×4 blocks with this easy step by step tutorial. Makes a great winter wood craft project!
This wood block snowman has been on my to-make list forever!
Ever since I made the wood block pumpkins, I wanted to modify it and make a snowman…
The best part about this snowman – it will never melt!!
Plus…. it really is the ONLY way we can actually build a snowman in Southern California…HA!
***This post contains affiliate or referral links. It is a way for this site to earn advertising fees by advertising or linking to certain products and/or services. Please read my full disclosure here ***
Material Needed –
- 4 x 4 board
- Black Paint or stain. I use Ebony by Varathane
- White paint. Craft paint will do. I used leftover latex paint.
- Colorful buttons
- Plaid ribbon
- Doll hat
- Hot glue gun
- Miter Saw
- Finish Sander
How to Make the Wooden Snowman-
Watch how to make this snowman with this quick two and a half minute video.
I also have all the instructions listed below.
Step 1 – Make the Cuts
- Cut the 4×4 board into 3 pieces. I mostly eyeballed the sizes – 2 short pieces and 1 longer piece for the body.
Important – Be sure to sand the wood blocks to make sure there are no splinters.
Step 2 – Stain/paint it
This is where you have the option to make it look distressed or paint it pure white. I decided to make it distressed for some added character.
- Start by putting down a dark base color.
- You can use paint or stain. I used Ebony by Varathane since I already had that on hand.
- Once the stain dries, paint the blocks white. Be sure to paint all sides and the tops.
Step 3 – Distress
Step 4 – Add Snowman Features
- Draw or paint the face on one of the shorter pieces. I used a black sharpie for the eyes and orange paint for the nose.
- Hot glue buttons to the long “body” block.
Step 6 – Add a hat and ribbon
- Glue a doll hat on the head and tie a plaid ribbon around the neck and the snowman is all dressed up and ready to sit on your mantle or front porch!
Isn’t he the cutest?!
He will look perfect on a mantle or the front porch or even next to a fireplace!! Where will you put him?
More DIY Christmas Ideas –
Anika's goal is to inspire and empower beginners with woodworking, DIY, home improvement, and home decor ideas.
She wants everyone to unlock their creative potential and experience the feeling that comes with making something. Nothing feels better better than seeing something and saying "I can make that!"