These incredible Ikea IVAR hacks turn the simple cabinet into a show-stopping and functional addition to your home. Which will you try?
Simple and unfinished pieces from Ikea are a favorite around here because they are perfect to personalize and add your own touch to them.
The Ikea Ivar system is one of the most versatile Ikea systems. It can be configured and used in SO many ways! Did you know that it turned 52 this year?!
One of the best pieces in the system is the Ikea Ivar cabinet. The simple unfinished pine cabinet is a blank canvas for creativity! I modified my own Ikea Ivar cabinet a few different times and used it in a few different rooms.
What’s great about the Ikea IVAR?
The Ikea Ivar is a modular system and includes shelves, cabinets and frames. You can easily customize it any way you like. The cabinets can be used by themselves to make creative cabinet and storage ideas.
How to hack Ikea Ivar
Given that it is a blank canvas, there are so many ways to hack the simple Ikea Ivar cabinet:
- Stain it – The Ikea Ivar cabinet is made of pine and can be stained easily using any water, oil or gel based stain.
- Paint it – As with any piece of furniture, it can be painted in any color you like. Since it is unfinished pine, be sure to follow my step-by-step tutorial on how to paint pine for a long-lasting finish.
- Add patterns – Take painting one step further and paint patterns on the cabinet to personalize it!
- Add trim – Adding trim is a great way to completely change the look of the Ikea Ivar.
- Add feet – The Ikea IVAR cabinet does not have any feet at all. You can integrate it with it’s IVAR system to create a stand. However, you can also buy pre-made furniture legs or you can build your own!
Ikea Ivar Cabinet hack Ideas
To bring you tons of ideas, I am sharing some of my favorite amazing Ikea Ivar Cabinet hacks below.
1. Gorgeous Ikea Ivar Sideboard Hack from Anika’s DIY Life
A little trim, paint and legs helped turn the simple Ikea IVAR cabinet into a gorgeous piece of furniture.
2. Ivar Cupboards Makeover With Annie Sloan Chalk Paint from We Are Scout
Beautiful legs, paint and decoupaged flowers – can you believe this started out as a simple Ikea IVAR?!
3. Minimal Ikea Ivar Kitchen Cabinets Hack from The Fresh Exchange
If you don’t want to be exorbitant… simple is sometimes very pretty too – paint it and add a board on top for a counter.
4. A Pretty Ikea Ivar Hack For The Nursery from Allihoppa
Once again – new legs and a few hand-painted details turn this Ikea Ivar into perfect storage for a child’s room.
5. Ikea Ivar TV Cabinet Hack With Custom Pegs from Ida Interior Lifestyle
If you want minimalistic with impact, simple add some gorgeous feet!
6. Cool Sideboard Made From Ikea Ivar Cabinets from Craftifair
Another great modern minimalist Ikea Ivar idea – this time with modern feet.
7. Eclectic Ivar Hack from September Edit
Cane webbing is all the rage right now. Simply adding it to the Ikea Ivar door makes for a simple yet beautiful piece.
8. Blue & Gold Ivar Hack from Ljuva Magnolia
The moody blue and gold combination is to die for!
9. Craft Room Storage From Ikea Ivar Cabinets from Infarrantly Creative
Bet you would have never guessed it was Ivar!
10. DIY Modern Buffet from House Updated
Simple pulls and mid-century feet elevate this Ivar hack.
11. Ivar Goes Chinoiserie from Ikea Hackers
I love how she converted it into the perfect bar cabinet! Don’t miss the mirrors!
12. DIY Cane Paneled Cupboard from Apartment Apothecary
A little DIY makeover and this Ivar looks like an expensive custom cabinet.
13. Ribbed cabinet DIY using the IKEA IVAR from Emma Jane Palin
Give your Ivar some character with 1×2 trim and some paint.
14. DIY Standing Desk from Paper & Stitch
This is a great idea and will be perfect for a craft room too!
15. DIY Drinks Cabinet from Melanie Lissack Interiors
With retro inspired legs and cabinet pulls this Ikea Ivar has everything it needs for entertaining. Wait until you see the inside!
16. Entryway Storage from Grillo Designs
Mount the Ikea Ivar on the wall and have open storage that’s easy to get to and a door to hide the rest
A few others, I thought you might enjoy –
17. Bright Ikea Ivar Office Storage from Style By Emily Henderson – I love the color she picked!
18. Thrifty Ikea Hack from The Wall Whisperer – talk about eclectic!
19. Ikea Ivar Media Center Hack from Hannah Bunker – I love the whimsical look of mismatched knobs!
20. Ivar Computer Cabinet Hack from Jayme Srp – Such a great idea!
21. Neutral Ivar Hack With Gold Accents from Pauls Vera – This one is truly gorgeous and so so easy!!
I hope you enjoyed these super creative ideas! Which is your favorite?
More Ikea hack Ideas you might enjoy –
Take a look at many other Ikea hacks here.