This amazing Ikea Rast nightstand hack is simple yet very gorgeous! Learn how to create this pretty Ikea Rast using a Dremel and few colorful stain colors!
If there is one ubiquitous Ikea dresser that has been given a new life a million times – it is the Ikea Rast!
At under $40, this is the perfect sized chest of drawers – It can be used as a nightstand next to a bed or as a dresser.
It comes in unfinished pine and is filled with possibilities for Ikea nightstand hacks!
We have a couple of these dressers in our home too.
One of them has been sitting in my closet in its original naked state waiting for a makeover.
Finally, it was time for this simple unassuming chest of drawers to turn into a beauty!
*** This post is sponsored by HANDy Paint Products. All opinions are my own. ***
Ikea Rast Nightstand Hack
If you look closely, you will see that the pattern is engraved 🙂
I decided to go this route because it made it really simple and easy to color in the honeycomb pattern!
Plus, I added trim on both sides to hide the screws and give the nightstand a finished look.
***This post contains affiliate or referral links. It is a way for this site to earn advertising fees by advertising or linking to certain products and/or services. Please read my full disclosure here ***
Materials needed for colorful Ikea Rast makeover
- Ikea Rast chest of drawers (Also available on Amazon if you need, although it is a lot more expensive)
- HANDy Craft Tray
- HANDy Craft Cup
- Hexagon template (just google hexagon quilt pattern)
- Primer and paint for the exterior frame (I used Alabaster by SW). Check out my guide to painting unfinished furniture)
- Trim for exterior or 1″x2″ boards
- Wood Glue
- Brad Nailer and 1 ¼” brad nails
- Fast dry caulking
- Dremel Stylo+
- Silver paint
- Thin paintbrush
- Random Orbital sander
- 220 Grit sandpaper
- Tack Cloth
- Stains and paint in various colors – I used the following –
- Staining Rags
Shop my T-shirt designs –
How to makeover an Ikea Rast nightstand –
Step 1 – Assemble Ikea Rast
Start by assembling all the drawers and the frame as per the instructions. Don’t, however, install the drawers into the dresser.
STEP 2: Prepare and paint the exterior
- Add the trim boards to the outside of the Ikea Rast using 1 ¼” brad nails and wood glue.
- Add caulking to all the gaps and joints.
- Prime and paint the exterior of the Ikea Rast dresser.
The HANDy Craft Tray was the perfect size for this with a little roller grid. It also has the perfect ergonomic grip to hold it!
Important – Be sure to check out my trick to painting Ikea furniture like a pro and to make it last a long time!
Step 3: Trace hexagons
- Print and cut out the hexagon shapes to use as a template.
- Trace the hexagons onto the drawer fronts.
Important – when you trace, make sure to keep all the drawers aligned so the pattern flows from one to the next. I totally forgot that and had to go buy a new dresser!
Step 4: Engrave hexagons
- Using the Dremel Stylo+ or any Dremel rotary tool, engrave the hexagons.
- I used a paint stick as a straight edge and “drew” with the Dremel along it. I wasn’t too worried about damage to the paint stick since it wasn’t a ruler.
Important – This step takes a lot of patience and having background music will definitely help!
Step 5: Fill in the engraved lines with metallic silver paint.
Don’t be too worried about getting it outside the lines.
Step 6: Sand away excess paint.
- Using a random orbital sander, sand away any excess paint, and dirt from the drawer faces.
- This removes all the extra paint that didn’t go into the engraved areas.
- Be sure to wipe down using a tack cloth and remove any sanding dust lodged in the engraved lines.
Step 7: Add color!
- Paint or stain each hexagon individually.
- There is no pattern to the colors. They are randomly selected to make sure –
- there is a balance of color across the dresser, and
- no two hexagons next to each other have the same color.
- I used HANDy Craft Cups to keep all the stains easily accessible.
- To tie it in with the exterior frame, I painted a few of the hexagons white too!
Note – The engraved lines make it so easy to stay within lines!
I loved using the HANDy Craft Cups and HANDy Craft Trays! The easy thumb-thru ergonomic handle helps keep your hand from getting tired, and the Craft Cup holds a ½ pint of paint! The brush scraper helps keep
projects from getting too messy by eliminating drips and spills.
Step 8: Stain and add the top
Step 9: Add hardware
And before you go, if you haven’t tried out the magic of HANDy Paint Products, I would totally recommend you check them out! They have an amazing line of products that make painting so much easier! You can get them at all major retailers.
More like this Ikea Rast Makeover –
Anika's goal is to inspire and empower beginners with woodworking, DIY, home improvement, and home decor ideas.
She wants everyone to unlock their creative potential and experience the feeling that comes with making something. Nothing feels better better than seeing something and saying "I can make that!"