Board and batten walls are a timeless addition to any home! Get inspired by these creative board and batten wall ideas for every style and room!
Board and batten walls are the latest trend in home decor.
They aren’t new by any means. They have been around for a long long time!
But they have recently seen a resurgence in home design – especially in modern settings.
Why are they so popular?
Not only do they add unmistakable character to any blank wall, but they are also super easy to make!
Not to mention that they are usually extremely cost-effective as well!
Table of contents
- How to install board and batten
- How to paint quickly
- Types of board and batten
- Board and batten bedroom walls
- For the entryway
- For living rooms
- For bathrooms
- For dining rooms
- For other rooms and spaces
How to install board and batten wall
I recently added a modern board and batten wall in my bedroom.
I shared a detailed process of how I measured and installed the boards to create this gorgeous wall.
How To Paint A Board and Batten Wall
Painting a board and batten wall can become really time-consuming real fast with all the details and corners and edges!
I shared a full article on how to paint the board and batten wall easily and quickly. I completed the entire painting process (2 coats) in just under an hour!
Types of board and batten walls
Board and batten walls come in all sorts of sizes, colors, and styles. The most common being –
- Half board and batten wall (more traditional)
- Full board and batten wall (more modern)
- White board and batten walls – more of a traditional/farmhouse vibe
- Colored board and batten wall – can be any color but more recently darker colors are very popular.
Board and Batten Wall Accent Ideas
If you are trying to find the perfect I scoured the internet and found 45 board and batten wall ideas for you to draw your inspiration from.
There are ideas for every space in the house – entryways, bedrooms, dining rooms, living rooms, and even staircases.
Board and Batten Bedroom Walls
Recently, board and batten walls in the bedroom have become very popular.
Dark walls add a modern element to the room but the traditional white walls have a great impact too.
1. How to Install Board and Batten from Anika’s DIY Life
My full wall of board and batten in our master bedroom is my favorite wall in the house!
2. DIY Board and Batten Feature Wall from A Crafted Passion
The dramatic color of this board and batten makes this the focal point in the room.
3. DIY Board and Batten Wall from City Girl Meets Farm Boy
The board and batten accent wall adds a great rustic modern detail to the teen room!
4. Easy Board and Batten Wall from Home on Poplar Creek
A section of wallpaper coupled with the dark navy board and batten wall adds extra character.
5. $50 Skinny Board and Batten Feature Wall from Mint Candy Designs
Another dramatic full wall of board and batten, I love it!
6. Board and Batten in a Boy’s Room from Simply Sara D
A small bedroom that is big on style.
7. Board and Batten Wainscoting with Lattice from Abbotts at Home
A simple board and batten wall in the nursery makes it so cozy.
8. Board and Batten Nursery Wall from Love and Renovations
A simple board and batten accent cozies up this nursery.
9. Board and Batten Wall Treatment on the Cheap from Twelve on Main
A board and batten wall doesn’t have to be expensive when you do it yourself.
For the entryway
Entryways are probably one of the most popular places to find board and batten walls.
They are an eye-catching accent as soon as you enter AND also transition easily into an organization friendly space with hooks.
10. Easy Board and Batten Hallway Mudroom from Deeply Southern Home
I love the addition of the picture rail on top of the board and batten. It creates a nice visual focus.
11. $100 Board and Batten Entryway with Hooks from House Mix Blog
Don’t have a mudroom? Make a wall in your entryway serve double duty as a mudroom wall with the addition of a few boards and some paint!
12. Back Foyer Makeover from Jamie Costiglio
What a great way to add detail to a boring hallway.
13. DIY Board and Batten Tutorial from Jenna Kate at Home
This is the perfect accent wall for this entry.
14. Board and Batten from Just Call Me Home Girl
The perfect place to corral the kid’s stuff.
15. Simple DIY Board and Batten Wall from My Family Thyme
An easy detail to add to your entry. I especially love the addition of the horizontal boards!
16. DIY Board and Batten Entry from Inspired to DIY
The addition of boards makes such a difference to this space!
17. DIY Board and Batten from Sawdust Sisters
Even mudrooms and laundry rooms deserve to be pretty with the simple addition of boards!
18. Mini Board and Batten Mudroom from Where the Smiles Have Been
I love the idea of the personalized name plaques to keep the mudroom area organized!
For the living rooms
Living rooms make the perfect space in the home to add an accent wall – and board and batten fit right in!
Once again, you can go the traditional route with a half wall or go the more modern route of a full wall.
19. Board and Batten Study Makeover from A Beautiful Mess
Seriously, it is the perfect accent wall!
20. Faux Board and Batten Tutorial from Artsy Chicks Rule
Board and batten adds country charm to this living room.
21. Board and Batten in the Living Room from Create and Find
The fireplace in this living room needed grand walls to match it’s style.
22. Board and Batten Accent Wall from Little Glass Jar
Board and batten accent wall makes a great backdrop to hang wall decor.
23. Cottage Style Board and Batten from My Wee Abode
Cottage style board and batten makes this room bright and airy.
24. DIY Horizontal Board and Batten from Provident Home Design
I love the uniqueness of this! Horizontal board and batten!
25. Board and Batten from Small Stuff Counts
Dramatic board and batten in squares draws the eye straight to it.
26. Board and Batten Stairway Wall from Thrifty Decor Chick
Adding board and batten to a stairway takes a boring wall to new levels!
27. Three-quarter Board and Batten Wall from Love Grows Wild
¾ wall of board and batten in this living room keeps it simple and clean.
28. How to Install Board and Batten from Eclectic Chic Blog
Understated but definitely there – this half wall board and batten adds character to the entire room
For the bathroom
A bathroom also makes a great place to add board and batten!
It instantly elevates a simple bathroom to a chic space.
39. Board and Batten in the Kid’s Bathroom from Farmhouse Made
Even kids’ bathrooms deserve some style.
30. Board and Batten with Textured Chair Rail from Jenna Sue Design Co.
I absolutely love the moody dark green in this bathroom! Also, notice the decorative trim detail at the top!
31. Cheap and Easy Board and Batten from Lovely Etc.
Love the clean and breezy look of this bathroom.
32. True Board and Batten Tutorial from Rachel Teodoro
Add hooks to board and batten in the bathroom to keep those towels up off the floor.
33. Modern Green Bathroom Makeover from Small Stuff Counts
Green is one of the trendiest colors this year and it makes board and batten look fantastic!
34. Bathroom Makeover on a Budget from The DIY Village
A simple board and batten wall in the bathroom gives it a touch of character.
35. Modern Board and Batten in the Bathroom from The Martin Nest
Black board and batten makes gives this bathroom a modern look.
For the dining rooms
A dining room can serve both a formal and informal role.
The addition of board and batten
36. Dining Room Makeover from Ask Anna Moseley
Love the simple elegance of this room.
37. How to Install Board and Batten Inexpensively from At Lane and High
Adding the accent wall can draw your eyes up and make the room look larger!
38. Dining Room Inspiration from Just a Girl Blog
The white three-quarter wall gives this dining room a fresh look.
39. DIY Board and Batten Wall from Rogue Engineer
Light and modern board and batten is perfect in this dining room.
40. Low Board and Batten Detail from The Honeycomb Home
Simple instant charm!
More Inspiration for other rooms
41. DIY Board and Batten Accent Wall from Angela Marie Made
A single accent wall is perfect for a small room.
42. Pink Board and Batten from Cherished Bliss
I love the unique pick of the pink color. I think more walls need to be this color!
43. Board and Batten in the Attic from Fox Hollow Cottage
Wide and tall board and batten make this attic room feel even bigger.
44. Board and Batten with Wallpaper from Francoise et Moi
You don’t have to paint above the boards, jsut add some wallpaper.
45. Board and Batten on Textured Walls from Making Manzanita
If your accent wall has a window, it can be a bit tricky but Making Manzanita shows you how to deal with that!
How did you like the collection?
What style of wall will you choose?
If you build any of these, I would love to see it! Email me at email@example.com or share and tag me on Instagram @anikasdiylife.com. I cannot wait to see what you make!