Step by step plans, tutorial and video showing how to build a DIY corner vegetable storage bin. It is perfect for root vegetables, other veggies or fruits and makes a great quick kitchen organization project!
Ever since we moved to this home, I have been planning to build a corner vegetable bin for all my root vegetable and fruits.
I built a divided produce bin a couple of years ago and it worked well till we had counter space or shelf space.
In the new home, we had neither.
But we did have floor space! So that’s where it ended up…
It time for better organization in this corner of the kitchen.
Enter the DIY vertical storage bin.
This isn’t good just for potato and onion storage, it also has space for fruits and tomatoes… all of which were taking up precious counter space!
Now that is an organization win!
Speaking of organizing, I am partnering with 17 other talented bloggers to bring you smart organization ideas! Be sure to take a look at them all at the end of the post. There are some amazing ideas!
DIY Corner Vegetable Bin
***This post contains affiliate or referral links. It is a way for this site to earn advertising fees by advertising or linking to certain products and/or services. Please read my full disclosure here ***
Materials for vegetable bin DIY –
- Lumber per plans (plywood and 1×6 boards)
- Table saw (optional)
- Circular saw
- Kreg Jig
- Miter Saw
- Jig Saw
- Wood Glue
- Brad nailer
- 1¼” brad nails
- Stain or finish of your choice. I used this one.
- Chalkboard labels (optional)
DIY Vegetable bin plans
How to build the corner vegetable bin –
Below is a full video tutorial showing how I built this easy DIY corner vegetable bin. Step by step instructions and details follow.
Step by Step Tutorial for vegetable storage bin –
Step 1 – Make the cuts
There are three major cuts that need to be made.
- Plywood for the sides – cut using a circular saw or table saw.
- Plywood for the bin bottoms – cut using a circular saw. A Jig Saw might work too.
- 1 x 6 boards for the sides – cut using a jigsaw.
With the exception of plywood for the sides, the cuts are involved and require exact measurement. Please refer to the printable plans for the exact dimensions.
Shop my T-shirt designs –
Step 2 – Attach sides
Use wood glue and finish nails to attach two plywood sides at 90°. These will make the corner.
If you like, you can also use a Kreg Jig and join using pocket holes.
Step 3 – Attach bin bottoms
- Mark location of the bin bottoms on the plywood sides.
- Align the bin bottoms and attach using wood glue and finish nails from the outside.
Step 4 – Attach the bin sides
Attach the 1×6 bin sides using wood glue and finish nails on both sides of the storage bin.
Step 5 – Attach the front slats
This one is slightly complicated.
- Measure the exact distance between the edges of the 1×6 bin sides and cut a bevel on a 1 x 4 board accordingly.
- You need to then chop off about 1/4″ from the sharp end of the bevel to line up the slat.
- Align the slat to the front of the bin and attach using wood glue and finish nails.
Step 6 – Finish the vegetable bin
You can paint or stain the vegetable bin in the color of your choice. I used Make Brand Co finishing oil with wax because it is low VOC and food safe.
On a side note, I love this finishing oil. I used scrap pine and plywood which resulted in yellow pine and variation of color. But I can’t wait to use it on good quality wood!
I also added vinyl chalkboard labels to the front of the bins because let’s face it… what is organization without labels?
I cannot be happier with this solution!
- It is absolutely perfect for all that we need to store.
- I have so much more counter space!
- Plus, I was able to use up a bunch of scrap plywood and other boards!
WIN! WIN! WIN!
Now, here are more smart organization solutions by 17 other talented bloggers to give lots of inspiration –
- DIY Shoe Organizer – Jen Woodhouse
- Simple DIY Closet Organizer – House Becoming Home
- Small Parts Bin – 100 Things To Do
- French Cleat Wall Organizer – Addicted to DIY
- Office Organizer Drawers – RemodelaCasa
- Easy Closet Shelves – Jaime Costiglio
- Shoe Storage Cabinet with Tray – The Created Home
- DIY Closet Cabinets – Woodshop Diaries
- DIY Ziploc Bags Storage Container – The Inspired Workshop
- Backpack Storage Bench – Her Toolbelt
- Cleaning Closet Organization – Reality Daydream
- Between Studs Workshop Organization – My Love 2 Create
- Between Studs Broom Closet – My Repurposed Life
- DIY Jewelry Organizer – Ugly Duckling House
- DIY Bathroom Drawer Organizer – Hazel and Gold Designs
- Easy DIY Wine Rack – Place of my Taste
- DIY Spice Rack – Joyful Derivatives