Learn all about engraving acrylic with the Cricut Maker and how to make a personalized gift – an LED night lamp!
I have been having a lot of fun playing with acrylic sheets and rod. I love that when you put an engraved acrylic sheet on an LED strip, it lights up making it a beautiful lighted floating design.
When I discovered that the Cricut Maker could engrave acrylic, I knew it was something I had to try!
I think it makes an amazing personalized gift for anyone! Especially for kids as a night lamp. Plus, you can make multiple designs and easily switch them out!
***This project is sponsored by Cricut. Thank you for supporting the brands that help me bring you all the great projects.***
Materials needed –
- Acrylic sheets
- Cricut Maker
- QuickSwap Housing with Engraving tip
- StrongGrip Mat
- Masking tape
- Cricut Design Space
- LED light base (I made my own but you can buy it pre-made too!)
- If making your own LED light base –
How thick acrylic can I engrave in the Cricut Maker?
You can easily use up to 2mm thick acrylic in the Cricut Maker to engrave. There are many precut shapes and sizes available that can be purchased. I used plexiglass sheets I bought from Home Depot and cut it to size I wanted.
How to engrave acrylic with Cricut Maker –
Step 1 – Set up design
- In Cricut Design Space, create your own quote or load a design from the 1000s available in the library. resize the design to fit your template.
Important – Be sure to load the “Draw only” designs because they work best with the engraving tool.
- Select line type as “engrave” in the drop-down menu.
- When ready, select make it!
Step 2 – Prepare mat
- Place the acrylic blank on the StrongGrip mat. Use the lines as a guide.
- Once centered, remove the protective film from the front of the acrylic.
- Apply masking tape around it to hold it in place.
- Load the mat into the Cricut maker. Make sure to support the mat so it doesn’t bend as that can pop up the acrylic.
Important – Move the star rollers to the side when before loading the mat.
Step 3 – Make it
- When you hit “make it” in Design Space, you need to center the design in the mat preview using the same method you used for taping the acrylic blank on the cutting mat. To do this – zoom in the mat preview and drag the image so that it is centered at the appropriate location vertically and horizontally.
- For the material, search for “acrylic” and select thick acrylic (2mm).
Step 4 – Engrave!
- Load the engraving tool in the machine
- Move the four white star wheels all the way to the right (VERY important)
- Load the mat and run the machine!
Let the Cricut Maker work its magic!
Step 5 – Unloading the acrylic
- Once the mat is unloaded from the machine, carefully remove the masking tape.
- There will be acrylic dust and shavings from the engraving. You can use the masking tape to pick them up.
- You can carefully remove the acrylic from the mat and remove the protective film from the back as well.
Add to the LED light base and see the magic!
Step 6 – DIY LED Light Base
I built my own base using 1×2 and 1×3 boards because I wanted to make larger pieces but you can also buy pre-made LED light bases (be sure to use the correct size of the acrylic pieces).
You can see all the details for building your own LED light base in the video below.
That is it!
It makes a really great personalized gift for anyone!
It is the perfect night lamp for a child or a great addition to a desk. It even makes a great addition to a living room.
In fact, if you make it as a gift, you can make multiple engraved pieces that can be used interchangeably making your gift really unique!
More Cricut projects –
More Acrylic Sheet Projects