See how I transformed a bedroom into a dinosaur themed room for my toddler boy with simple and easy updates and decor ideas. Hint – it’s all in the wall color!
***This project is sponsored by The Home Depot. All ideas and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make it possible to bring you fun projects!***
This project is almost bittersweet.
Remember when I first transformed the kids’ room into a colorful shared space so each could have a reflection of their personality on their side of the room?
Well, a couple of months ago, we separated their rooms because it was just time to do it. They each now have their own room.
Which means it is time to say goodbye to this pretty colorful room.
I briefly debated just painting white over the pink side but I wanted to give it a complete refresh.
Picking the paint colors
My son is still obsessed with all things dinosaurs, so it was kind of a no-brainer to give him a nature-themed bedroom.
The Home Depot ProjectColor App is a cool tool to not only help and find colors but also to visualize the colors in your space.
This is what happened when we tried it with the dinosaurs.
It picked some gorgeous greens.
The ProjectColor App is awesome to get an idea of the hues and colors but going to the store and actually looking at the paint chips helps make the final decision.
After our visit, we decided on the final colors-
- Secret Meadow for the accent wall
- Back to Nature for the rest of the room
The Project ColorApp is also fun to play with and visualize how the room will look with the color.
Painting the dinosaur themed room
To be honest, I was secretly dreading painting this room.
All that color! How many coats of primer would it take? I was guessing at least 3.
When I was buying samples at The Home Depot, I saw a display showing paint coverage for the Marquee over all sorts of paint chips. I was going to buy the Marquee anyway so I decided to give it a shot.
And here is the result!
Just one coat!
And that meant I could go straight for the paint. No primer needed!
I did see the lines from the previous paint pattern though because of the varying number of paint layers.
Nothing a light sanding couldn’t fix.
The painting took about 20 minutes each wall per coat.
The first coat coverage was really good but I needed a second coat to cover up the roller marks and just get a richer color.
In under a day, it was done!
Here it is!
The greens are so gorgeous!
The little guy and I couldn’t be happier!
And because we all like a little before and after, here is what the room looked like in the MLS listing when we bought the house 2 years ago!
And this is what it looks like today!