These 18 DIY magnetic chalkboard ideas will inspire you to create your own special display wall, organization or a place for kids to doodle and have fun.
You might also like 24 Easy DIY Kids table and chair ideas and DIY colorful scrap wood art
Whoever came up with the concept of combining a chalkboard with a magnetic board was a pure genius!
It is a match made in heaven!
Doodling, writing messages, learning, adding notes… the possibilities are endless!
Basic supplies needed to make magnetic chalkboards-
- Magnetic surface – This can be a metallic sheet of any kind
- A galvanized sheet . Also available from the hardware store
- An oil drip tray
- any old metal shelf (make sure it is magnetic)
- Magnetic Primer – to turn a regular surface or wall to magnetic
- Chalkboard paint – there are 2 choices here –
- Spray Paint – It is more expensive but easier to get good coverage.
- Roll-on paint – Turns out a lot cheaper than spray paint but you have to extra careful when you roll-on so you get a smooth surface.
- Clear Chalkboard paint – I was surprised to see this! It is easy to turn any painted surface into a chalkboard! Also available in the spray version.
- Magnetic Chalkboard Sheet – don’t bother with magnetic primer or chalkboard paint and get a readymade sheet to use!
- Magnetic Chalkboard Wall Paper – YEs, a self-adhesive paper to add anywhere in the house!
- Frame – to put around your magnetic chalkboard – either thrifted or build one!
Homemade Chalkboard Paint
Did you know you can make your own chalkboard paint for your magnetic boards?!
It really is nothing but chalk paint and you can turn any color paint into chalkboard paint!
I use this recipe by I Heart Naptime to make my chalk style paint. I have been using this recipe for a long time and it works exactly like chalkboard paint.
I painted little boards in Navy Blue chalk paint to make signs for my daughter’s DIY Princess birthday party. I also use similar boards to take pictures of my kids’ first/last days of school.
DIY Magnetic Chalkboards for Kids
I have used a magnetic chalkboard in the kids’ playroom ever since we had a playroom.
I started out by simply painting a galvanized metal oil drip tray with chalkboard spray paint almost 8 years ago (hence, no pictures of it).
I put it up on the wall using five 3M mounting tapes.
The only issue – there was a logo embossed on it. But it worked well for a toddler and got lots of use.
Then, I finally built them this simple DIY Magnetic Chalkboard.
It is an easy project which uses a couple of furring strips and a galvanized sheet metal. At about 2′ x 3′ it is the perfect size for all the doodling and magnet fun the kids can have!
Get the plans to build the simple magnetic chalkboard here.
I also added a magnetic chalkboard to the kids’ art center using the same technique – galvanized sheet metal + Chalkboard paint.
See more about this 5-in-1 Kids’ Art Center and how to build it!
Other fun DIY Magnetic Chalk Board Ideas for kids
- Upcycled Magnetic Chalkboard Frame from Pretty Handy Girl – I love how she upcycled an old shelf to use as a magnetic surface.
- How To Make A Magnetic Chalkboard In Any Color from The Crazy Craft Lady – Love this simple trick to make a chalkboard of any color!
- DIY Magnetic Chalkboard from Katie Lamb – She shows you how you can make your own in any color using a special supply!
- DIY Giant Magnetic Chalkboard Art Station from The Craft Patch Blog – Absolutely love the art center. But I love the organization around it even more!
- How To Make A Magnetic Chalkboard from The Handmade Home – They use a magnetic primer to make a HUGE magnetic chalkboard!
Magnetic Chalkboard Command Centers
Not just for kids, magnetic chalkboards are powerful for organization and serve as a great command center.
I added a magnetic chalkboard to our kitchen/entryway to write little messages and add reminders.
The cutting board shape is easy to achieve and fits right in!
More command center ideas using magnetic chalkboards
- How To Build Your Own Magnetic Chalkboard from Love Create Celebrate – I love the functionality of this chalkboard command center.
- DIY Magnetic Chalkboard Message Board from Little House of Four – A simple and quick project to add a little organization.
- Make A Magnetic Chalkboard Wall For A Family Command Center from Kenarry – Why not turn an entire wall into a magnetic chalkboard command center?!
- Easy Magnetic Chalkboard Made With A Canvas from Mod-Podge Rocks – Who says you need a metallic sheet for the magnetic chalkboard?
More Creative Magnetic Chalkboard Ideas
- Cabinet Door Chalkboard Magnetic Memo Board from My Repurposed Life – I love the repurpose of old cabinet doors!
- Vintage Wallpaper Magnetic Chalkboard from Mod-Podge Rocks Blog – this easy idea is genius!
- Magnetic Chalkboard Flower from My Repurposed Life – I love the use of dollar store supplies with a bit of creative woodworking.
- DIY Cedar-Framed Magnetic Chalkboard from Rogue Engineer – A simple but gorgeous chalkboard for any space in the house.
- DIY Customized Magnetic Chalkboard from The Honeycomb Home – If you want, you can just purchase one and add personalization