These 21 brilliant DIY shoe storage ideas will help you organize the shoe you own in any space of the home including under the bed, shoe storage benches, racks, closets and more!
Whether you are crazy about shoe shopping or not, the sight of shoes piling up in a closet or next to the front door can easily drive you crazy.
Piles of shoes not only make it hard to find shoes but also beats them up when they get tossed around as you try to find your pair.
We have a “shoe” closet which has gotten out of control and I am looking for inspiration tackle that. So, I thought I will share some of those awesome ideas with you.
How to organize shoes
To get started with organizing your shoes, start by getting them all out.
- First, sort and donate any that you won’t be using in the future.
- Sort shoes by categories – often used shoes, rarely used shoes, and seasonal shoes. Plus sort them by style.
- Identify areas in your home where you need shoe storage. These can be 2 types –
- Everyday shoes – should be convenient to use.
- Rarely used/seasonal shoes – out of the way but easy to get.
Once you have identified the exact areas you want to store shoes, here are some shoe storage ideas you can make!
Most of them are affordable and easy to put together too.
DIY Shoe Storage Ideas
1. DIY under bed shoe organizer – Anika’s DIY Life
If you have a small home, you want to use every inch of space available.
Space under the bed is very precious and often underutilized.
It makes the perfect place to store shoes.
I built a DIY under bed shoe organizer which rolls easily under the bed and has a transparent top to be able to see what’s inside while also protecting the shoes from dust (and spiders).
2. DIY Under Bed Storage Boxes – Grillo Designs
Grillo designs also shares a great tutorial to build simple drawers for the under the bed shoe storage too.
3. DIY Shoe Shelf Bench from Her Tool Belt
Create the perfect mudroom with a bench and shoe storage shelves with this simple beginner-friendly project.
4. DIY Shoe Storage Bench from Jaime Costiglio
This is a simple and beginner-friendly project – all you have to do is build the frame and use pre-built crates as shoe storage!
5. DIY Shoe Bench from Crafting in the Rain
Another extremely simple DIY shoe bench! Make it any size you need.
6. How To Build A Shoe Cubby from By Brittany Goldwyn
I love the staggered cubbies. Not only is it organized, it looks really beautiful.
7. Scrap Wood Shoe Cabinet from Reality Daydream
This is one of my favorites! I love the pull-out shoe rack! And it was made using scrap wood!
8. Entryway Bench With A DIY Shoe Rack from Lily Ardor
This bench and shoe rack are just brilliant! I love how the shelves are adjustable. This can be done in a closet too!
9. DIY Ladder Shoe Shelf from Homemade by Carmona
Ladder shelves are all the rage and this simple ladder shelf as shoe storage is perfect and pretty enough for any entryway.
10. Hidden Shoe Cabinet from Handmade-Haven
You will never think this was a shoe cabinet until you open it!
11. DIY Shoe Tray from Farmhouse Made
A simple tray for all your boots in the winter. When not in use, you can just store it away!
12. Entryway Shoe Organizer By Emily Henderson
This is a brilliant and minimalistic shoe organization solution ever and can be used in any space – in a closet or multiple of these in a mudroom.
13. Shoe Storage Cabinet With Trays from The Created Home
The pull out trays in this shoe storage cabinet make it really easy to keep all the shoes organized.
14. Bushel Box Shoe Storage Cubbies from Farmhouse Made
A simple and easy project to put together with premade boxes. Easy to customize too!
15. Entryway Shoe Organization With Crates from The Merry Thought
Another idea using crates for shoe storage. Easy to customize and change as needed!
16. Easy DIY Cubbies From Concrete Forms from Heathered Nest
This is a great idea to add in any space of the house!! I also think it will be perfect in a child’s closet!
17. DIY Built-In Shoe Shelves from Pretty Handy Girl
If you have a coat closet, you can easily turn the bottom of it into organized shoe storage with this tutorial.
18. Easy DIY boot Tray by Woodshop Diaries
Another simple and easy boot tray to store all those wet boots in the winter.
19. How to Build a High Heel Shoe Rack from Centsational Style
If you have a lot of high heels, this will make a great way to store them. This rack can be integrated into any other shoe organizers as well!
20. DIY Wall Mounted Shoe Rack from Heathered Nest
I absolutely love how Heather displays her shoes like a work of art!
21. DIY Entryway Bench with storage from The Handyman’s Daughter
A simple and quick entryway bench project that uses metal cubbies for frequently used shoes.
Aren’t all these idea incredible?
Which one is your favorite?
They have certainly given me a lot of inspiration to tackle the shoe closet in our home so stay tuned for that!