Small backyards or balconies are no match for these easy and creative DIY garden ideas for beginners! Turn your small space into a plant paradise!
So, you have a small backyard with barely any space for a garden.
Or maybe you live in an apartment with a balcony but want to grow your own veggies, herbs or just have some gorgeous flowering plants!
It might seem like a real challenge, but trust me, there are so many ways you can garden in your small garden and get creative too!
How do you garden in a small space?
Two things –
- Planters – get creative with space saving planters
- Go vertical – use up all the vertical space you have!
What can you plant in a small garden?
Anything that works for container gardening – quick maturing plants like lettuce or radishes, herbs, longer-growing plants like tomatoes and broccoli.
Just make note of their water needs and sun direction.
Small space gardening ideas
Below are 20 easy DIY garden ideas that you can implement in any small space!
This raised tiered garden bed is perfect for any small backyard, patio, or balcony. Plus it looks amazing too!
One of my all-time favorite outdoor projects is this DIY tiered planter. It is super simple to make and cost only about $10 in lumber!
3. DIY Planter Box from the Sawdust Sisters
This is a super simple DIY planter that can built by any beginner. Make multiples at various heights and create an interesting space!
4. Small Raised Garden Bed from Love Our Real Life
If you have a small space in the backyard, build a little raised planter – no need to dig up the grass. The liner at the bottom helps keep the planter weed free too.
5. Raised Garden with Compost Bins from Lazy Guy DIY
Adding a compost bin to your small space garden container adds much needed nutrients to the soil.
6. Raised garden with Privacy Fence from Sand Dollar Lane
This raised garden does double duty with it’s lattice privacy screen – perfect for townhomes or balconies!
7. Vertical Garden from Houseful of Handmade
Vertical is the way to go for small balconies and patios. This vertical garden has its own drip system to help make remembering to water!
8. Indoor Vertical Herb Garden from ToolBox Divas
Hang a space saving herb garden in your kitchen and you can have herbs all year around.
9. Vertical Garden Using 2x4s from Making Joy and Pretty Things
This project is perfect for apartments or small balconies when you want to have a garden. Plus, it has the perfect rustic modern look.
10. Vertical Garden from Jessica Wellington Interiors
2x4s and some cedar fence boards make a great vertical garden.
11. Wood and Metal Hanging Garden from Pneumatic Addict
I love the use of copper pipe with the buckets.
12. Easiest Vertical Garden Ever from Jessica Wellington Interiors
A felt pocket planter and a place to hang it is all you need to create this succulent planter. It can’t get easier than this!
13. DIY Hanging Garden from Heathered Nest
Pressure treated posts, galvanized wire, and galvanized pails and you will have a vertical garden right outside your kitchen.
14. Painted Wood Pallet Garden from Pillar Box Blue
15. DIY Pallet Garden from Hearth and Vine
Landscaping fabric and a staple gun are that’s needed to turn a pallet into a vertical garden.
16. Cinder Block Planter from Artsy Pretty Plants
Cinder blocks make the perfect outdoor planters. Arrange them any way you want and create a focal point in your small yard.
17. Raised Garden with Pavers from Inspiration For Moms
Put your muscles on for this raised garden bed. Concrete pavers really make the perfect container.
18. DIY Living Garden Wall from The DIY Village
From trash to treasure. Repurpose old metal drawers as planters.
19. Unique Window Planter Box from Chatfield Court
Don’t pass up on that old piece you see at a garage sale. Leaving it rusty just adds to the charm.
20. Garden In A Stock Tank from Dreaming of Homemaking
Drill holes in the bottom of this stock tank for drainage and it makes the perfect small space garden.
Which one will you make to turn your outdoor space into your garden?
More Gardening and Planter Ideas
Check out 22 other DIY outdoor project ideas you can tackle in a weekend.
Anika's goal is to inspire and empower beginners with woodworking, DIY, home improvement, and home decor ideas.
She wants everyone to unlock their creative potential and experience the feeling that comes with making something. Nothing feels better better than seeing something and saying "I can make that!"