These 21 DIY desk organizer ideas will help you keep your workspace clean and organized so you can be more productive and creative!
As you spend more time working from home and helping our kids study at home, you slowly realize that you need a system for organization.
It is especially important to have organization on your desk.
A clean and organized desk helps the mind focus on the task at hand.
Do I always have a nice clean desk? Nope, I don’t. But I try to start every day with one.
Will the systems below make it so you don’t have a messy desk at all? Nope. But they will make sure everything has a place and home to get back to when. you are done at the end of the day.
RELATED: 30 Easy DIY Desk Ideas for Beginners
How to create organization on your desk-
- Identify the need – Figure out what needs to be organized. You might have a stack of papers on your desk that have been there for a while. Maybe it’s time to have a place for them
- Sort – Figure out if you really need it. Sometimes, we just let junk build up when we are not looking. If a few papers in the stack of paper have been there for over a month, chances are you don’t need it there.
- Find alternate storage – Decide what truly belongs on/in the desk. In our example – if the paper hasn’t been used in months, it can be filed away in a separate cabinet.
- Organize – Find the organization solution that fits best ad organize.
A few simple rules to remember while deciding on organization solutions –
- Real estate on top of your desk is gold. Don’t use it for items that do not have an immediate use or purpose.
- Organize your drawers so you know where everything is and can grab it when you need to.
- Put it up on the walls – Use up as much of that vertical space as you can.
DIY Desk Organizers
Whipping up your own desk organizer is easier than you think! You can make them out of many different materials – wood, cardboard, old metal cans.
I have gathered some of my favorite easy and creative DIY desk organizer solutions from around the web for you.
A lot of these make good use of scrap wood (which is one of my favorite things to do!)
1. DIY Laptop Stand from Anika’s DIY Life
If you work at a desk, it is important to have the computer screen at eye level for ergonomic reasons.
This quick little scrap wood laptop stand raises the laptop for you. Just add an external mouse and keyboard and you have a nice comfortable configuration to work.
Plus, there is additional space under the stand for organization – win-win!
2. DIY Phone Stand from Anika’s DIY Life
Another scrap wood project – this phone and photo holder helps keep your phone within reach and has a great spot to hold your favorite picture or inspirational quote!
3. Modern Pencil Holder from Anika’s DIY Life
Keep all your writing utensils within reach in style with this easy wood and acrylic pencil holder.
4. Mason Jar Organizer from Anika’s DIY Life
Another DIY pencil holder – this time using mason jars. This is a simple project made from scrap wood and wires.
You could simply use mason jars but having a holder helps corral everything in one spot.
5. DIY criss-cross organizer from Anika’s DIY Life
One of the best ways to organize is to go vertical!
This simple wooden rack can be used in so many ways! Shown here with paint bottles, it can also hold pens or markers.
6. DIY Plywood Pegboard and Magnetic Pegboard from Anika’s DIY Life
I built this for the workshop, but it will easily integrate into any office space!
It is the perfect combination of function and decor. Plus it uses up scrap plywood!
7. DIY Cork Board from Anika’s DIY Life
If you want a cork board above your desk, you can make your own custom size with this full tutorial.
8. Simple DIY Desk Organizer from Woodshop Diaries
Made entirely from scrap wood this desktop organizer will help you clear up the surface of your desk.
9. DIY Vented Monitor Stand from Jaime Costiglio
This vented monitor stand allows air to flow around your electronics and gives you a little space underneath for tucking things away.
10. Wood Desk Organizer from Charleston Crafted
Made from ½ inch plywood, this DIY organizer has space for papers, business cards and anything else you may need to get out of your way.
11. DIY Printer Stand from by Brittany Goldwyn
Get the printer off of your desk and use up the space below it with this simple poplar and pine rack.
12. DIY Laptop Riser from Sawdust Sisters
Made from scrap wood this laptop riser even has a place to tuck your mouse away.
13. DIY Desk Topper Shelf from Jaime Costiglio
Even though this desk topper is being used for beauty supplies, it will make great organizer for desk supplies. The best part is it is made from scrap wood!
14. DIY Adjustable Desktop Organizer from Handyman’s Daughter
This adjustable desk organizer is a simple project! Make it work for your space!
15. DIY Beauty Organizer from Jaime Costiglio
These colorful beauty organizers make great containers for desk supplies. Paint them any color your want!
16. DIY Desk Organizer Painted Brass from Houseful of Handmade
You won’t believe this, a piece of scrap wood and heavy card stock were used to make this desk top organizer.
17. Wall Organizer Above the Desk from Salvaged Living
Get the paper clutter off your desk top by making these easy enclosed shelves.
18. DIY Drawer Divider from Sawdust Sisters
All you need is a 1×3 board, a saw, glue and some finish nails to get your desk drawers organized.
19. Desk Drawer Divider DIY from In My Own Style
Customize your drawer divider with as many sections as need. Painting it white is optional, but it sure makes it look clean and organized.
20. DIY Wood Drawer Divider from Artsy Pretty Plants
Using thinner wood like these poplar strips will give you more room in your drawer.
21. Dollar Desk Drawer Organizer from This is Our Bliss
Save big by repurposing a Dollar Store cupcake tin. It’s perfect for paperclips and all those other little things that get lost in a desk drawer.
Keep cord clutter at bay with a DIY device charging station – it even includes a wireless charger!
So there you have it.
Easy DIY desk organization ideas you can make right away! You might have supplies for a few of these in your home/workshop already!
Spend a few minutes every day clearing up your desk and you will notice the difference it makes in your focus!
If you are looking for more scrap wood projects, I have you covered with over 26 projects here!