Get inspired with these easy and clever DIY concrete planter ideas. Learn everything you need to know to make your own stunning cement planters
I first started working with concrete almost 2 years ago.
I was very curious to work with it and to my surprise, it was actually quite easy to use!
I started with simple concrete pumpkins and then expanded on to simple DIY concrete planters. I loved how it was easy to use and have already made 3 planters.
Below I am sharing everything you need to know to make your own concrete planters and lots of inspiration to get you going.
Best Concrete for DIY planters
First, let’s understand what is concrete.
Concrete is made up of 3 basic components – water, aggregate like rock, sand and gravel, and Portland cement. The Portland cement is the binding agent that mixes with the aggregate and water to harden into the durable material we want.
Therefore, even though concrete and cement are used interchangeably, cement in fact a component of concrete. Read more about the differences between concrete and cement here.
The aggregate in a concrete mix decides how smooth the final product turns out.
So what concrete should I buy for concrete pots?
Standard concrete mix contains gravel. Those tiny stones will make it harder to achieve a smooth look on the concrete planter projects.
Fine concrete mix is best for planters because the aggregate in them is sand. These are typically used in concrete repair over topcoats.
One of my favorites to use is this quick setting concrete mix. However, it can sometimes be harder to work with as it sets very quickly.
I have also used this concrete mix and it has worked really well. It takes long enough to set so you can work with it but also dries within 2 days.
Supplies needed to make concrete planters
Here are the basic supplies needed to make a concrete planter
- Fine concrete mix. This is one of my favorites.
- Mold – this depends on a lot of factors like size and shape – see more below.
- Old bucket to mix concrete.
- Something to stir the concrete – I use a paint stick.
- Cooking spray
- Weight to hold down mold
- Drill and masonry drill bit (optional) – to make drainage holes.
Where to buy concrete for DIY planters
You can buy concrete at many different places.
- Big box home improvement stores like Home Depot. (pssst – you can buy online and pick up in-store.)
- Online on Amazon – bonus – you don’t have to carry that heavy bag home!
How to make molds for concrete planters
Depending on the size and shape of the planter you want, there are many options –
- Large planters – build using laminate boards with screws, cover joints with silicone caulking.
- Medium or smaller planters – use thick cardboard boxes, plastic containers, buckets or bowls.
- Cool geometric shaped planters-
How to make a concrete planter
The exact process of making a concrete or cement planter depends on the project but follows these basic steps.
- Create mold for the planter.
- Like mentioned earlier, this depends on the type of planter you are making and can involve constructing a mold using laminate boards or plastic bowls from a dollar store.
- Mix concrete
- While mixing water into concrete, less is more. Add water little at a time and mix thoroughly until you reach thick pancake batter consistency.
- Spray with cooking oil spray
- Pour concrete
- Agitate with a sander to remove all the bubbles.
- Allow to dry per instructions on the concrete mix and then slowly remove it from the mold.
DIY Concrete planter Ideas
Now that you know everything there is to know about making a concrete planter, here is a whole bunch of my favorite ideas and inspiration to get your creative wheels turning.
DIY hanging concrete planter
My latest concrete project – this hanging concrete planter hangs in the corner of my office and I love looking up at it.
DIY tiered concrete planter
This tiered copper and concrete planter is one of my favorite concrete projects to date!
I had this vision of a tiered concrete planter and wasn’t even sure if it would work out! And it did!
Also, nothing beats the combination of concrete and copper!
DIY concrete planter with wood feet
I do love mixing materials and this simple cubical planter got a simple twist with wooden legs.
DIY Concrete Geometric Planters
These geometric planters can be created using specially made molds or you can easily purchase molds.
Making your own mold can be a bit complicated but also really fun and can open up all the possibilities for fun shapes.
A lot of the tutorials below have templates and information on how to make them! Or buy some fun molds online!
- Modular Geometric Concrete Planters from A Piece of Rainbow
- DIY Geometrical Planters. from Look What I Made
- DIY Concrete Planters from Gray House Studio
- Geometric Cement Planter from The Crafted Life
DIY Mini Concrete Planters
I love these mini planters! They make great little decor ideas and also work well as gifts. Plus they are easy to make with simple little boxes or containers.
- Mini Concrete Planters & Faux Succulents from Love Create Celebrate
- DIY Gold & Concrete Succulent Planters from The Soccer Mom Blog
- DIY Global Concrete Planter For A Quick Hostess Gift from Upto Date Interiors
- DIY Cement Planter Family Project from Home Road
- Easy Concrete Planters from DIY Danielle
- Make Concrete Planters With Recycled Materials from Paper n Stitch
DIY Concrete Planter Box Ideas
These larger concrete planters do need either larger boxes or homemade molds that are made using laminate boards.
Or you can use a drop cloth to get a fun shape!
- Cat Grass DIY Concrete Planter from DIY in PDX
- DIY Concrete Vases from Design Improvised
- DIY Concrete Planter from Farmhouse On Boone
- Drop Cloth And Cement Planters from Infarrantly Creative.
- How to Make a Concrete Sugar Mold Our Handcrafted Life
- Easy DIY Concrete Planters from A Helicopter Mom
DIY Concrete Bowl Planters
Really, any kind of plastic container can be used for bowl style cement or concrete planters.
Dollar store or a thrift store is a great place to find a set of bowls that nest together to give you the perfect mold.
- Dripped Concrete Planter DIY from A Beautiful Mess
- DIY Modern Caged Planters from A Kailo Chic Life
- Makers Mix Concrete Mini Planters from Hearth and Vine
Creative DIY planters made of concrete
But who says planters need to be cubes, or geometric or bowls?
I absolutely love these DIY Concrete Head Planters from Lily Ardor… so creative!!
Large Concrete Planters
If you have to build really large planters, you can do so by building your mold.
Ben from Homemade Modern has some amazing builds that will inspire you! Here is one of my favorites –
There you have it. Everything you need to know to build your own concrete planters along with the inspiration to get you going.
Which one is your favorite?
Which one will you build?
I can’t wait to see!