Beginner-friendly DIY outdoor project ideas to spruce up your outdoor space on a budget – including simple woodworking and furniture plans, curb appeal improvements and decor ideas!
The best way to enjoy summer with family and friends is to spend time outdoors.
To make that time even better, you need a fun and functional outdoor space which matches your style and vibe and brings entertainment to everyone.
Plus, summers are the best time to work on the exterior of your house – add plants, paint structures – add lots of curb appeal.
Here are 25 ideas that will help you create the perfect outdoor space.
They range from simple beginner-friendly woodworking projects to backyard improvements and outdoor decor.
DIY Outdoor Projects
EASY OUTDOOR WOOD PROJECTS
I love building outdoor projects for many reasons –
- DIY outdoor furniture is easiest to build and ends up being much cheaper than their store-bought counterparts.
- Most are built using 2×4 or other structural lumber that needs to be cut and fastened.
- There are rarely tricky cuts. They usually involve simple and easy to use tools. (Check out my list of 7 beginner woodworking tools.)
- For all the above reasons, they make excellent beginner woodworking projects.
- DIY Outdoor Bar / Potting bench – This simple project is a weekend project and uses only about $70 in lumber. Make a gathering spot for your next party or use it as a potting station!
- Easy $15 DIY Outdoor Coffee Table – A simple coffee table project that uses $15 in lumber, a few pocket holes and a few hours on a weekend.
- $20 DIY Outdoor Dining Table – If you have a small space, this is the perfect outdoor dining table. But it is easy to modify to make it larger too!
- DIY Patio Table with Fire Pit – No more bending over a firepit! This simple coffee table/fire pit table is easy to build and the perfect place to make some smores.
- DIY Water Table Plans – The perfect fun project to keep toddlers busy on a summer evening.
- DIY 2×4 Bench – How to Make an Indoor/Outdoor Bench – A version of one of my most popular projects. The X-legs are an absolute winner!
- Easy DIY Hammock Stand Using 3 Tools – Can’t beat a hammock to hang out in a backyard! This one is easy to build using only 4×4 lumber.
- DIY Outdoor Towel Rack with Shelves – This outdoor towel rack is perfect for the poolside… or you can use it indoors too!
Almost all of the projects have downloadable plans available.
Or you can get all of my popular outdoor project plans in one place with the Outdoor Plans Bundle.
EASY DIY OUTDOOR PLANTERS
No outdoor space is complete without plants and hence pretty planters. You can build your own or customize pre-built planters.
Below are a few of the planters I have built to date.
All of these planters are included in my ebook – 13 Easy Outdoor project plans
- DIY Tiered Raised Garden Bed – This is perfect for a deck or a small balcony when you don’t have a lot of space for a vegetable garden.
- $10 DIY Tiered Planter Box – This quick and easy planter that adds instant appeal to any space!
- DIY Lattice Planter Box – This easy to build planter box has a personality with lattice sides.
Quick OUTDOOR Woodworking IDEAS
Here are a few other simple DIY project ideas to add fun and decor to your backyard or outdoor space.
- DIY Solar Light Post Using 4×4 Boards – Decorate your backyard or front yard with solar lights in style.
- How to Make a DIY Wall Mounted Bottle Opener – A 15-minute project to add a convenient bottle opener for all those backyard parties.
- DIY Ring Toss Game – Back yard parties are incomplete without games… make an easy ring toss game which is also easy to disassemble and put away.
IDEAS TO REFRESH YOUR BACKYARD
Nothing makes a space look new like a refresh!
And I have some really quick and easy backyard refresh ideas for you!
- How To Paint A Shed The Right Way in TWO days – A backyard shed doesn’t need to be ho-hum. Give it personality and make it pop. Or just give it a new coat of paint. I show you how to do that in a couple of days!
- How to Stain Concrete Floors – Outdoor patio floors can get dirty and stained over time. See how to give it new life by staining it easily.
- Painting Outdoor Wood Furniture Like a Pro – If the weather has taken a toll on your old outdoor patio furniture, give it a new look with my guide to painting outdoor furniture to make it last for years.
- How to Clean Outdoor Furniture and Toys without Chemicals – Sanitize and clean old toys that have been in the backyard without chemicals.
- Small Patio decorating ideas– See how created a cozy and colorful patio with a few simple updates to my space.
DIY FRONT PORCH IDEAS
Front porch and curb appeal is also a large part of your outdoors.
Add some personality to it with these easy and quick projects.
- How to paint a front door without removing it – Nothing says welcome like a freshly painted door. See how to revive an old front door without removing it off of the hinges. I also show you how to handle those weird glass inserts.
- Easy DIY Personalized Doormat – A personalized doormat is a great addition to any porch. Make your own with this easy step by step tutorial.
- DIY Up-cycled Glass Bottle Decor – Got old bottles? Turn them into decor with this easy idea.
- How To Make Mosaic Rocks – I think this will make a fun project for the kids! Make your own fun mosaic rocks to decorate the garden.
Don’t forget! you can get 13 of my most popular outdoor project plans all in one place!
Need more DIY furniture ideas?
I think you will love these collections of DIY furniture ideas for your indoor and outdoor spaces!