These DIY wooden planter box ideas and easy to build and will spruce up your curb or backyard! Get lots of inspiration to build your own wooden planters!
Container planters make gardening easy for any skill level or home!
Whether you are in an apartment or in a large house with acreage, DIY wooden planters are a great way to add curb appeal or grown your own veggies!
Making a wooden planter box is very easy! Most of them are a perfect afternoon project for any beginner woodworker.
Benefits of a DIY wooden planter box
- Easy to build!
- Make as big or small as you want for your space
- Fewer weeds
- You can move them where ever you want – for decor or for sunlight!
What wood to use for DIY planter box
Wooden planter boxes are very cost effective and easy to build.
- Redwood – A great option because it is naturally rot-resistant and has been known to last for a long time. Unfortunately, it can be a lot more expensive than the other options. Learn more about redwood uses and advantages.
- Cedar – Also rot-resistant, though not as long as redwood. pretty cost-effective too.
- Douglas fir – Lasts a lot less – about 5-7 years. Cheapest wood used for garden boxes.
When choosing the wood for your planter box, be sure to use untreated wood. The chemicals in treated wood can harm plants.
DIY Wooden Planter Box Ideas
Once you have decided what type of wood you want to build with, here are a few awesome DIY wooden planter box ideas to inspire you!
Almost all of these are super easy to make with the very basic tools! Take a look!
1. DIY Tiered Raised Vegetable beds by Anika’s DIY Life
This is great for small yards where you don’t have a lot of ground space. The tiered planter not just gives you lots of space to grow those veggies, it also looks amazing!
2. DIY Lattice Planter Box by Anika’s DIY Life
This lattice planter box adds amazing character to your garden or yard. It is meant to be decorative and you can easily put your pot inside for the plants. Or you can attach landscape fabric to the inside and plant directly!
3. Tiered Cedar planter by Anika’s DIY Life
This tiered wooden planter is super easy to build and takes only about an hour! All you need is a saw and nailer!
4. DIY Self-watering Planter by Anika’s DIY Life
This planter might be simple to look at and build but it has a built-in self-irrigating system! See how it is made. Spoiler – it is very easy too!
5. $10 Cedar Tiered Flower Planter or Herb Garden by Ana White
Another gorgeous tiered planter to add vertical height!
6. Wood and Metal Planter Box Building Plans by Pneumatic Addict
Add even more character with the addition of metal to a simple wooden planter box!
7. DIY Modern Outdoor Planter Box by The Handyman’s Daughter
Don’t you just love the texture the panels add to the side of this planter?
8. DIY Planter Pot Table Combo by Bigger Than the Three of Use
Love this dual purpose planter and table! It is absolutely perfect for the patio!
9. DIY Outdoor End table with built-in planter by The Handyman’s Daughter
This end table is a genius idea! The planter serves dual purpose! Can you guess what you can switch it out for?
10. Pallet Planter Box for Cascading Flowers by Her Tool Belt
This is such a gorgeous planter box idea! You have to go take a look at what it looks like after a few months when it fills up with flowers!
11. Easy Rustic Planter Koozies by My Repurposed Life
These super easy planter ideas add the perfect rustic charm!
12. DIY Flower Boxes by The DIY Bungalow
A simple wooden window box is a easy to make and adds so much fun color to the home!
13. DIY Modern Cedar Planter by The DIY Huntress
If you need modern and clean lines, this is the perfect DIY planter box! It is super easy to build too!
14. Colorful Tin Can Planters and Pallet planters by Pillar Box Blue
If you are more into rustic beauty, this is a great way to add color and plants to your window!
15. Kitchen Herb Garden by Lovely Etc.
If you are looking for a simple kitchen her garden, It is super easy to make!
16. “Jones” Tiered Raised Veggie Garden by Lazy Guy DIY
Another great idea for tiered wooden planters!
17. Faux Zinc Planter by The Created Home
This is NOT metal! It is wood and its gorgeous! Take a look at how to make it look like zinc!
18. DIY Large Cedar Planters by Uncookie Cutter
I love the tiered planters and their modern look! They make perfect planters for indoors or outdoors!
19. Easy 10-minute wooden planter by Uncookie Cutter
This little table top planter is made from scrap wood and takes about 10 minutes to make! I think it makes a great gift idea too!
20. Hanging Fence Garden by Thrift Diving
This is such a great use of the vertical fence space!
21. Reclaimed wood raised garden beds by 1915 House
If you have been wanting to get into container gardening for veggies, this is the perfect starting point!
22. DIY Hanging Plant Stand by The Weathered Fox
Not just a planter but also decor! Perfect idea for an entry way or back patio!
23. DIY Tapered Planter from Houseful of Handmade
Made from cedar fence pickets, this planter features a great tapered shape that is great for patios, decks, and porches.
24. DIY Large Planter Box from Love Create Celebrate
Modern planter boxes can be very expensive. Build your own and add a beautiful statement piece to your outdoor space.
25. Cedar Planter Boxes from Bitterroot DIY
Cedar is known for being withstand the elements and when you add corner brackets they become the perfect wood planters for your deck railing.
26. Wood Planter Box with Trellis from The Handyman’s Daughter
Fence pickets are easy to work with and you can use your leftovers to build this amazing wood planter box with a trellis for vining plants.
27. Raised Garden Bed with Shelf from Love & Renovations
Raised garden beds have become very popular and this one comes with a shelf underneath for storage.
28. End Table with Built-in Planter from The Handyman’s Daughter
Add sweet smelling flowers to your outdoor space with this end table that doubles as a wood planter box.
29. Raised Vegetable Garden with Compost Bins from Lazy Guy DIY
Create a wood planter box for your vegetable garden that includes a composting bin.
30. DIY Wood Planter Box from Crafted By The Hunts
Bring some much need warmth to your front porch with this easy DIY wood planter box. Made with pine boards, just pop in a plastic pot and add your plants!
31. Simple Louvered Planter Box from Woodshop Diaries
Using cedar for outdoor wood planter boxes is a great idea as it will stand up to the elements. These louvered planter boxes make a great addition to any outdoor space!
32. DIY Planter Box for Cheap from Lovely Etc.
I love the tapered sides of this planter box and the gray weathered finish makes it unique!
33. Cedar Fence Board Planter Box from Sustain My Craft Habit
This planter uses cedar fence boards and a 2×2 post to get the simple elegant look that is perfect for your outdoor spaces.
34. DIY Chair Planter from Charleston Crafted
How fun is this pink wooden chair planter?! You could customize the words to say anything you want.
35. Outdoor Bench with Raised Planters from Lazy Guy DIY
Easily join two wooden planter boxes with a bench in between for a great place to relax after a long day!
36. Slatted Scrap Wood Planter from The Awesome Orange
These amazing slatted planter boxes were made from scrap wood. This easy beginner build is a great way to use up that pile of scrap wood!
37. Pallet Wood Planter from Unique Creations By Anita
Pallet wood projects are still very trendy. This tiered planter with diamond accents is so cute and looks great anywhere!
38. Vertical Planter from Making Joy and Pretty Things
Planter boxes don’t just have to sit on the ground. Take them vertical and hang it outside with shelves to add extra potted plants.
39. Space Saving Vertical Planters from Simple nature Decor Blog
When outdoor space is at a premium, stack your planters like these vertical stacking planter boxes. They are great for seasonal flowers or herbs and vegetables.
40. DIY Planter with Hose Storage from DIY Huntress
Garden hose reels can be so ugly. Hide it away inside your planter with this great DIY wooden planter. You can stain them to get this color or use the shou sugi ban method so that they require no maintenance.
41. Simple Planter from Scrap Wood by Unique Creations By Anita
Build this pretty Asian inspired planter from scrap wood.
42. Vertical Planter Box with Watering System from Houseful of Handmade
This cedar vertical planter box has multiple levels and has it’s own watering system taking water your plants off your to do list.
43. Vertical Garden Wall Planter from The Handyman’s Daughter
This free standing vertical planter box wall would be great to add privacy to your outdoor space.
44. Large Scrap Wood Planter Box from Toolbox Divas
Dress up your outdoor privacy wall with this large DIY planter. It’s easy to make and will use up that scrap woodpile!
45. DIY Railing Planters from The Handyman’s Daughter
Simple planter boxes like these are an easy beginner build and will add a great look to your deck railing!
Aren’t all of these amazing? Are you inspired yet?
Which is your favorite one?